This option prepares students for graduate study in physical oceanography, meteorology, fluid dynamics, or a related field, as well as immediate employment in environmental agencies or consulting firms and technical positions in marine sciences. Students in SAS may also wish to consider the major in physics with the Ocean Physics option.
Graduation Requirements for the Major
- Students majoring in Marine Science must have a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0.
- All students in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences must complete the SEBS Core Requirements, plus the additional Major requirements below.
- All students in the School of Arts and Sciences must complete the SAS Core Requirements, plus the additional Major requirements below.
- Professional Ethics: Ethical issues in marine sciences are addressed throughout the program in both introductory and advanced courses, especially within the framework of the experience-based educational requirement.
Physical Oceanography option
Required courses (credits)
- 01:119:117 Biological Research Laboratory (2). Note: if Principles of Biology used to meet biology requirement, 119:117 is waived.
- 01:160:161-162 General Chemistry (4,4)
- 01:160:171 Introduction to Experimentation (1)
- 01:198:323 Numerical Analysis and Computing (4) or 01:640:373 Numerical Analysis (3)
- 14:440:127 Introduction to Computers for Engineers (3) or 11:670:212 Computational Methods for Meteorology (3)
- 11:628:120 Introduction to Oceanography (3)
- 01:640:151-152 Calculus for Mathematics and the Physical Sciences (4,4)
- 01:640:251 Multivariable Calculus (4)
- 01:640:252 Elementary Differential Equations (3) or 01:640:244 Differential Equations for Engineering and Physics (4)
- 01:750:203-204 General Physics (3,3)
- 01:750:205-206 General Physics Laboratory (1,1)
- 01:960:401 Basic Statistics for Research (3)
Experience-Based Education (6). Consult the Undergraduate Program Director for more information.
Four of the following with at least one from each group:
- 01:640:250 Introductory Linear Algebra (3)
- 01:640:421 Advanced Calculus for Engineers (3)
- 14:650:312 Fluid Mechanics (3)
- 11:628:461 Biology Ocean: Water Column Ecosystems (3) or 11:628:462 Biology Ocean: Boundary Ecosystems (3)
- 11:628:472 Chemical Oceanography (3)