Provide the necessary knowledge, techniques and systemic vision to produce scientifically relevant contributions involving the conception, analysis, design, control and operation of systems that support flows of energy, materials and information, namely with regard to processes transport, conversion and use of energy, taking into account the availability of natural resources and their relationship with climate change, namely the study of their mitigation and resilience factors for adapting to climate change. The main feature of this Doctoral Program is its interdisciplinarity, integrating areas of engineering and environment with economics and management, providing an analysis of energy systems from a sustainable development perspective and integrating mitigation and adaptation factors to climate change. It is also the objective of the Doctoral Program to progressively train students for the autonomous development of research and development work through their integration into research teams, with special emphasis on the preparation and elaboration phase of the Thesis.
If you want to do research at the UA and are looking for some kind of funding, consult the different national and international programs that can give you that opportunity.
- Develop and deepen analysis, understanding and quantification capabilities of energy and mass flows in contemporary societies and their relationship with natural resources, technologies, politics, management and strategies for mitigation and adaptation to climate change
- Develop competences, skills and methods for designing and carrying out research projects and technological solutions that adequately integrate energy components (conversion, transport and use) and climate change (mitigation and adaptation) and sustainability
- Know, understand and know how to apply computational and laboratory techniques and methodologies relevant to the development of RTD activities in the main areas with potential for the development of research projects associated with the integrated study of energy systems and climate change
- Develop, in a systematic and autonomous way, bibliographic review procedures, including bibliometric analysis, aiming at identifying the state of the art in an integrated context of previously defined areas of knowledge
- Identify needs, and design and carry out scientific research, respecting the demands imposed by academic quality and integrity standards, in a progressively autonomous way
- Develop scientific communication skills that allow the autonomous presentation, in written and oral form, of research results that deserve national or international dissemination in conferences and/or peer-reviewed publications
- Develop a critical spirit on the importance of energy, energy systems, their interaction with the environment and society, namely their relevance for sustainable development, in the context of strategies for mitigating and adapting to climate change
- Promote, in an academic and/or professional context, scientific, technological, social and economic progress in a knowledge-based society