The M.Eng. programme in Mechanical & Marine Engineering fulfils all the educational requirements for Chartered Engineer status. It is designed to develop a high level of technical expertise together with the emotional intelligence to be able to practice successfully as a professional engineer in a modern interdisciplinary engineering environment. Graduate engineers are increasingly expected to take on important technical leadership and management responsibilities early in their careers and the knowledge and skills gained from this programme are designed to produce graduates who are able to make an immediate contribution to their employers organisations.
The programme aims to:
- Develop students transferable skills and professional behavioral traits above those associated with a M.Eng graduate that will allow students that complete the programme to hold responcible technical and managerial roles within a range of mechanical & marine engineering and associated industries.
- Deliver the educational experience in which students can develop their knowledge of engineering science, core engineering principles and fundamental underpinning subjects such as mathematics and computation.
- Develop students confidence to analyse challenging technical problems and to further develop their core engineering knowledge and skills through the investigation and development of credible and robust solutions.
- Provide students with appropriate support and encouragement to develop the necessary skills such that they can study independently and take responsibility for their own learning and subsequent professional development.
- Provide engineering graduates with a range of highly relevant transferable skills such as team working,communication, management, problem solving, computing and technical computing.
- Provide a programme of study that fully meets the requirements of the Engineering Councils UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UKSpec) and qualifies the successful graduate for the attainment of the Engineering Council Chartered Engineer status after completion of an appropriate period of industrial experience.
- Produce graduates with an increased depth, breadth of knowledge and understanding of mechanical & marine engineering, management and teamwork to enable them to rapidly assume technical leadership and management roles.
- Encourage students to fully engage with the World of Work programme, including World of Work Skills Certificate and, as a first step towards this, to complete Bronze (Self Awareness) Statement.
- For students undertaking a placement year the aim is to provide students with an extended period of work experience at an approved partner that will complement their programme of study at LJMU. This will give the students the opportunity to develop professional skills relevant to their programme of study, as well as attitude and behaviours necessary for employment in a diverse and changing environment.
The programme is currently accredited by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and meets the requirements of the Engineering Councils 'UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence' (UKSpec).