General course objectives
The course is a practical add-on course to course no. 25316 Recirculating Aquaculture Systems. As such, it is supposed to strengthen the students´ understanding and ability to evaluate the operation and performance of water treatment processes. Practical set-ups and exercises are performed in small scale in the lab. Data achieved from trials as well as data from commercial operations will be evaluated to provide the student with an understanding of water quality parameters and dimensions of commercial RAS.
The students will work in small groups and get hands-on experience with basic water quality measurements and short-term experiments related to recirculating aquaculture systems. The experimental work is supposed to encourage students to put their theoretical knowledge into practice, reflect on practical issues related to water quality measurements, and to understand research in recirculating aquaculture systems as an applied science.
Water quality measurements in small-scale RAS, short-term laboratory experiments on water treatment processes, calculation exercises on data from larger experiments and commercial aquaculture, dimensioning of water treatment components, writing of reports
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Apply basic methods for water quality measurements
- Develop a monitoring plan for water quality parameters in a RAS
- Estimate nutrient loads in RAS based on amount and composition of feed
- Calculate removal rates and efficiencies for central water treatment components in RAS
- Perform laboratory experiments to asses e.g. biofilter processes and disinfectant degradation kinetics; aeration efficiency; particle accumulation and size distribution
- Report data from experiments and calculation exercises
- Identify key factors and perform central calculations within dimensioning of RAS
Current or previous enrolment in course 25316 Recirculating Aquaculture systems is a prerequisite to enroll for this course. We recommend taking the two courses in the same semester