General course objectives
The objective of the course is to provide the student with an overview of knowledge and methods needed to set up a successful business in the area of sustainable aquatic resource utilization. The course aims to enable the students to conceive and design a viable business that delivers services, products or experiences with value for the business as well as the customer. This requires the student to combine his/her knowledge of sustainable aquatic resource utilization with knowledge from other fields using methods in engineering, innovation and business.
The course consists of a series of lectures on innovation, business planning, and sustainability combined with group work on a project within the area of aquatic resource utilization. The student groups will select a business area relevant to sustainable utilization of aquatic resources, analyze the customers’ requirements and desires, conceive offerings, analyze offerings in order to select for the most suitable and create a business plan to bring the offering to the customer. The lectures will support the process, and external guest lecturers will give further inspiration to the group work. The process is documented in a report and presented orally.
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Define a business in the area of sustainable aquatic resource utilization by combining knowledge in engineering, innovation, business development, and aquatic science
- Provide an overview of the business area of sustainable aquatic resource utilization
- Perform an in depth analysis of a business area and identify possible business opportunities
- Select appropriate methods to innovate a viable product, service or experience
- Perform detailed design and analysis of the selected solution
- Define a value proposition using methods in innovation and business development
- Create an economic assessment of the business
- Create a plan for organization and operation of the business
- Create a business plan
- Successfully manage work in a project group
- Communicate the results of the project in the form of a report and an oral presentation