This course will introduce the students to working with real-life data common and statistical methods used in evolution and ecology. The course focuses on developing robust and repeatable workflows for data wrangling, data visualisation and statistical analysis. The students will get an introduction to basic linear models, mode selection and more advanced methods such as Generalised Linear Models and Mixed Models. Throughout the course students will use the programming language R, the RStudio package, and Git.
After completing the course, the students will
- have a good understanding of study design
- be familiar with graphical data exploration techniques
- be able to perform analysis of variance and understand underlying assumptions
- be familiar with linear models and model selection
- be familiar with parametric and non-parametric hypothesis testing
- have acquired basic skills in statistical programming in the R language