- Microbial (algal) growth kinetics
- Cultivation, fermentation and photo-bioreactors
- Metabolism and metabolic engineering
- Basic principles of systems and synthetic biology
Recommended prerequisites: One or several of following courses (or equivalent): BIO-2001 Fysiologi I, BIO-2513 Marin Biodiversitet, BIO-2601 Generell mikrobiologi, BIO-2606 Generell og marin bioteknologi, MAT-1001, MAT-1002, MAT-1003 Calculus 1,2 & 3, Linear Algebra MAT-1004.
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:
Proficiency in English must be documented - list of countries
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:
Proficiency in English - PhD level studies
- The course aims enable students to develop quantitative problem-solving skills in the context of different microbial biotechnology applications including marine microalgae.
- Students will develop the ability to apply knowledge of modern biology to different biotechnology and bioengineering applications
- They will develop the ability to independently gain technical knowledge from available scientific literature
- The will develop their ability to communicate effectively in professional/technical settings
- Gain competence that allows for a necessary understanding of the quantitative aspects of microbial cell growth, cultivation, metabolic modelling, metabolic engineering and modern practices in synthetic biology.