The course is organized for PhD students to target advanced topics within the themes of modeling, simulation, and control and observer design for marine Control systems. The learning is generally conducted as a self-study course with common colloquies for discussion of relevant topics within the main themes. The aim is for the PhD candidates to specify and learn advanced subjects within modeling, simulation, and control/estimation for marine Control systems that is not covered in MSc courses or in other PhD courses at the university. Some semesters the topic may be announced and set to a specific subject and lectured in a traditional way by a recognized national or international invited guest lecturer.
At the end of the course, the student should
- be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the studied topic on an advanced level, taken from the theme of modeling, simulation, and Control/estimation of a marine Control system process.
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- explain the background theory of the studied topic and relate this with a clear rationale to the derivation of a model or process analysis, implementation of a simulator, and/or design of advanced marine control laws or estimator algorithms;
- focused problem formulation/research question; and
- demonstrate proficiency in why and how to the use relevant methods for solving the specified problems.
By participation and completion of the course, the student should:
- write a journal paper with a clear and concise exposition of problem formulation, derivations, simulations, assessments, and conclusions, and to orally present the results of a project in a clear and efficient manner, within time limits; and
- conduct academic studies and written work in an honest and ethical manner, without any sort of plagiarism and misconduct in the coursework, project papers, and presentations.
Recommended previous knowledge
Knowledge of modeling, simulation, and control for marine systems corresponding to a MSc in marine control engineering or equivalent.