The topic for the project thesis and the chosen combination of subjects in TMR4505, should be consistent. The supervisor of the project thesis should approve the choice of subjects.
The students have to attend a mandatory introduction seminar to the project thesis beyond the established ECTS. The seminar has to be attended as part of the project thesis course. The seminar consists of lectures and assignments which has to be passed for the students to be allowed to hand in the project thesis. The content of the seminar prepares the student for writing their thesis; such as searching for literature, writing reports, scientific publishing and ethics.
The student shall develop the ability to get familiar with a specific topic within the chosen area of specialization by use of scientific methods. This includes collecting information and gaining insight by studies of relevant literature and other sources of information and combining this information with his own knowledge. Moreover, the student shall be trained in carrying out an extensive project, by developing a project plan with milestones, reporting intermediate results of his work and completing a project report according to recognised standards.
After having completed the introduction seminar to the project thesis the student shall:
- Know and understand the importance of ethical research practices.
- Be able to take an active role in their own skills development and learning.
- Understand the importance of conducting thorough literature reviews.
- Be able to perform detailed scientific literature reviews, including searching in literature databases.
- Be acquainted with the desirable quality and content of independent research.
- Be able to conduct accurate report writing, and thesis preparation.
- Know how to increase the effectiveness of their individual research.
- Know how to write concise scientific reports, including structuring, referencing, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Manage their project schedule and resources, managing expectations and change.
- Be able to define a project description and project plan.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
- Engineering and ICT (MTING)
- Marine Technology (MIMART)
- Marine Technology (MSN1)
- Marine Technology (MTMART)
- Maritime Engineering (MSNMME)
Recommended previous knowledge
All mandatory subjects in the 3rd and 4th year for the study of Marine Structures and the relevant specialisation.
Required previous knowledge
The course is only accessible for students admitted to the master programmes Marine Technology and Engineering and ICT.