Topic for the project shall be central for the specialization "Marine Machinery" and related to marine activities.
The students have to attend a mandatory introduction seminar to the project thesis beyond the established ECTS. The seminar has to be attended as part of the project thesis course. The seminar consists of lectures and assignments which has to be passed for the students to be allowed to hand in the project thesis. The content of the seminar prepares the student for writing their thesis; such as searching for literature, writing reports, scientific publishing and ethics.
The student shall learn to immerse oneself in a specific topic within the chosen specialization, using a scientific method of work. This includes to obtain additional knowledge through searching scientific literature and other relevant sources, and to combine this with own knowledge. The student shall learn to perform a larger, independent project, including making a project plan with breakpoints, reporting part results and write a project report in accordance with generally recognized standards.
After having completed the introduction seminar to the project thesis the student shall:
- Know and understand the importance of ethical research practices.
- Be able to take an active role in their own skills development and learning.
- Understand the importance of conducting thorough literature reviews.
- Be able to perform detailed scientific literature reviews, including searching in literature databases.
- Be acquainted with the desirable quality and content of independent research.
- Be able to conduct accurate report writing, and thesis preparation.
- Know how to increase the effectiveness of their individual research.
- Know how to write concise scientific reports, including structuring, referencing, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Manage their project schedule and resources, managing expectations and change.
- Be able to define a project description and project plan.
Admission to a programme of study is required:
- Engineering and ICT (MTING)
- Marine Technology (MIMART)
- Marine Technology (MSN1)
- Marine Technology (MTMART)
Recommended previous knowledge
All mandatory subjects in 3rd and 4th year for the specialization Marine Machinery.
Required previous knowledge
The course is only accessible for students admitted to the master programmes Marine Technology and Engineering and ICT.