Introduction to design and analysis of machinery as well as power transmission systems in marine and offshore renewable energy applications. Designing mechanical power transmission systems e.g. gears, bearings, shafts and rotors, automatic operation systems, and hydraulic and pneumatic actuators, used in marine operation, offshore installation, ship power systems, offshore wind turbines and wave energy convertors.
At the completion of the subject, students should be able to:
- design and analysis power transmission systems in ships, offshore wind turbines and similar in marine environment. This includes industrial gearboxes, rotors, couplings and vibration isolation systems.
- design and analysis machinery used in marine operations, lifting, installation, transportation, offshore renewable industry, aquaculture and subsea industry. This includes for example hydraulic and pneumatic systems, cranes and winches.
- use state-of-the-art design codes implemented in the industry.
- employ latest software and tools used today to design and model such systems.
- design and analysis both at system as well as component levels.
- to put the design at practice at lab.
- able to design and analysis mechanical systems under stochastic load conditions.
Recommended previous knowledge
Marine technology 1-4 or similar.