The course is taught as needed in agreement with professor in charge. Based on the student's prior knowledge, extended knowledge in breadth and depth on topics such as waves in deep and shallow water; sand transport, erosion and sedimentation; dredging disposal and land reclamation; coastal structures; port hydraulics and approach channels and port planning, are further developed. Detailed content of the course can largely be adapted to the students' interest and background.
The course shall develop knowledge and competences both broadly and in depth, within selected central isusses in port and coastal engineering.
Students should have knowledge of:
- To abstract a problem and make engineering assessments and do calculations within their specialty.
- Description and modelling of physical environmental conditions and/or environmental loads related to waves, ice, currents and wind in terms of safety for humans and the environment.
- Projected climate change and possible consequences for the structure and activity along the coast
The student should be able to:
- Model (plan and execute) hydrodynamic processes within the field of coastal and harbour engineering (numerical modelling and/or physcal modelling in lab)
- Plan and conduct field experiments for the determination of empirical data.
- Evaluate the relevance of empirical data in relation to a practical problem
The student has:
- Expertise to conduct independent reviews of engineering problems in his/her respective specialization.
- The basis for evaluating different models and select the appropriate model for a practical problem.
- Using the combination of physical measurements in the field / lab and/or results from numerical / theoretical models for decision-making for engineering assessments in the field of Marine Civil engineering.
The most central topics in TBA4265 Arctic and Marine Physical Environment, TBA4270 Coastal Engineering and/or TBA4145 Port and Coastal Facilities. Candidates with different backgrounds are assessed individually.
Required previous knowledge
Admission to a relevant PhD program at NTNU.