The Antwerp Maritime Academy offers a training programme in Commercial Yachting. This training is aimed at the crew of pleasure craft used for commercial activities, with a gross tonnage lower than 500.
The training programme is based on STCW requirements and is approved by the Belgian Federal Administration for Mobility and Transport.
The programme consists of various modules leading up to four different Certificates of Competence:
- Officer of the watch up to 200 nautical miles out of the coast (Officer 200’)
- Master up to 200 nautical miles out of the coast (Master 200’)
- Officer of the watch unlimited
- Master unlimited
After acceptance by the evaluation commission, you can start with the training for any of the above-mentioned certificates.
These are built progressively so it is possible to start with the Officer 200' en gradually continue on to the Master unlimited. However, this is not mandatory.
This modular training structure also makes it possible to spread the commercial yachting training over many years.
Academic level: Lifelong Learning
Occupations (not validated):
At the end of the training session you will receive a certificate, proving that you have completed all modules successfully.
To receive a Certificate of Competence you must present yourself at the Belgian Federal Administration for Mobility and Transport, Posthoflei 5, 2600 Antwerpen (Berchem), tel. 03-286 68 90, www.mobilit.belgium.be,
with following documents:
- Certificate of all followed training modules (HZS)
- Individual STCW certificates
- Medical certificate, to be obtained from Mediport, Italiëlei 51, 2000 Antwerpen, tel. 03-225 00 15, www.mediport.be
- GMDSS certificate
- Overview of sailing time.
Required prior knowledge
- Officer up to 200 nautical miles out of the coast: yacht man certificate/yacht navigator certificate.
- Master up to 200 nautical miles out of the coast: officer 200’ certificate.
- Officer unlimited: yacht man certificate/yacht navigator certificate.
- Master unlimited: officer unlimited certificate.
If the candidate does not possess a yacht man or yacht navigator certificate, he has to present a curriculum and/or sailing time certificates to the evaluation commission.
This commission will decide if the acquired knowledge is sufficient.
Candidates possessing certificates of training modules followed at other training centres, should provide a copy of these certificates to the evaluation commission. This commission will decide for which training modules the candidate can be granted exemption.
Before entering the training programme, every candidate has to pass a medical examination at Mediport (Italiëlei 51, 2000 Antwerpen, tel. 03-225 00 15, www.mediport.be).
This examination is required to obtain the STCW Certificate of Competence and also to indicate that you are medically fit for the job..