Are you captivated by the technical side of the marine environment? Our marine technologists are engineers focused on engineering for life at sea. As problem solvers, engineers design, create and use tools in every industry from nanotech to agritech. You will develop skills in the fundamentals of engineering as well as in marine engineering and naval architecture. Our students use laboratory sessions to reinforce learning and are taught by enthusiastic staff with strong industry links.
Our accredited BEng Marine Technology is designed to start your journey to becoming a qualified professional marine engineer. Our engineering courses rely strongly on practical work and you will develop your design skills throughout the course. We offer the opportunity to undertake a paid placement year to help consolidate and develop your engineering knowledge and many students receive job offers as a result of their time in industry.
- Join the upper ranks - in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), also known as the Shanghai Ranking, we are eighth out of 50, and the highest ranked UK university, for Marine/Ocean Engineering.
- Open the door to a successful future - with starting salaries from £23,000, our graduates have gone on to work for Hoare Lea, Babcock Marine, Becton Dickinson, e2v, Edwards, the Shaw Group and the Ministry of Defence.
- Define yourself with an accredited degree – the course has been designed to fully satisfy the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- Be flexible – our combined first year allows you to switch to mechanical engineering or civil engineering in line with your career ambitions.
- Be unique – our courses are the only ones in the country to have a named 'with composites' pathway; choosing this will allow you to stand out in the job market.
- Learn hands-on with the latest industry-standard software, laboratory sessions and practical classes.
- Put learning into practice by taking a paid year in industry - many of our students receive job offers or sponsorship as a result of their placements.
- Go on to thrive in sectors as diverse as vessel design, naval architecture, ship safety, propeller design and manufacturing or engine energy efficiency.
The Plymouth Engineer Scholarship: Mechanical engineering and marine technology degrees.
Up to £1,000. Students are automatically paid £500/£250 for an A / B in Mathematics A level and one further sum of £500/£250 for an A / B in a relevant science or technology subject. This is awarded to home/EU applicants who put us as their firm choice before the 1 August 2019. The scholarship is paid during the first semester of the first year.
There are additional prizes and awards to reward high achievement in later years of the degree.
Undergraduate scholarships for international students
To reward outstanding achievement the University of Plymouth offers scholarship schemes to help towards funding your studies.
120 - 136
Applicants exceeding our entry requirements may be eligible for an offer under our Engineering and Navigation Excellence Scheme.
A level: Typical offer will be 128 points including Grade C at Maths and Grade C at second relevant subject: Applied ICT, Applied Science, Applied Business, Biology, Business/Business Studies, Chemistry, Computing, Computer Science, DT (Product Design Resistant Materials), DT (systems and Control Tech), DT Product Design (Textiles Tech), Economics, Economics and Business, Electronics, Engineering, Environmental Science, Design and Technology, ICT, Physics, Science, Statistics, Further Maths, Use of Maths, Pure Maths. Excluding General Studies.
International Baccalaureate: 32 overall to include 5 at Higher Level mathematics and 5 at Higher Level science/technology subject. English and mathematics must be included.
GCSE: mathematics and English language grade C or above is required.
All BTEC courses: Not accepted for MEng, unless the applicant has additional qualifications or experience.
BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the full list of modules within your qualification at the time of application.
All Access courses: Not accepted for MEng, unless the applicant has additional qualifications or experience.
Other qualifications also considered, please enquire.
We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
Please note: We understand that many applicants remain anxious about meeting the exact terms of our standard conditional offers. We will look again at your application and revise our offer for those applicants who we continue to believe are a good match to our courses, once we have the certainty of your actual results in August.