To develop understanding of the advanced methods of structural analysis including ultimate strength analysis and thus to establish the reserve and residual strength of a structure.
Outline Of Syllabus
The module will be broadly divided into themes as follows:
- Evolution of rule-based design and its application to a ship structure
- The ultimate strength calculation of flat and curved stiffened plate structure
- The ultimate strength of stiffened cylinders, as components of TLP and semi-submersible structure
- The design of submarine structure
- Ultimate strength of hull girder structure
- Case studies of structural failures
The modules will include preschool reading, examples, a preschool assignment, an intensive school (five days), and a post school assignment.
Normally requires 50 hours of study.
Pre-school material enables you to revise and review prerequisite material so that the intensive school can be run efficiently and effectively. The materials will be available six to eight weeks before the intensive school takes place.
You will undertake a pre-school assignment (30% of the module mark) which you will submit on the first day of the intensive school.
One week intensive school
Has an approximate contact time of 35 hours.
The intensive school includes lectures, case studies, tutorials, presentations, and discussions.
You will sit an examination (40% of the module mark) during this intensive teaching week.
Requires 15 hours of study.
This material consolidates the module learning.
Post-school material involves completion of a post-school assignment (30% of the module mark) which you will submit eight weeks after the intensive school.
Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
*The start and end date stated above is approximate.
You should have a minimum of:
- a Second Class Honours degree in Engineering or equivalent with a strong quantitative component
- at least three years of relevant work experience in the marine sector or similar
You'll also need to provide a personal statement and reference.
Find out more about entry requirements (including English language requirements).