Our International Marine Environmental Consultancy course meets the growing demand for marine consultants and coastal managers in UK, European and international business.
The course brings together core ecological skills with the business elements required to compete in this growing sector. Our expert academic staff maintain an extensive network of industry contacts.
A four month consultancy project provides opportunities for developing a proposal to collaborate with a world-leading marine consultancy.
This interdisciplinary course attracts a wide range of honours graduates. Your background skills may come from geography, the law and politics as well as marine biology and the environmental sciences. An interest in the marine environment and its management, and a professional, committed attitude are essential.
Project areas have been focussed on:
- structural and functional integrity of ecosystems
- biological and socio-economic drivers of ecosystem change
- governance and management of resource use
There may be opportunities in other research groups:
There may be opportunities in other marine science research groups:
- Marine Resources and Renewable Energy (MRRE):
- antifouling and ballast water treatment
- bacterial bioactive products
The marine science research groups form part of extensive national and international networks. Recent partnerships and collaborations include:
- the Environment Agency
- Natural England
- Northumberland Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority
- University of the West Indies (Barbados)
- National Oceanographic Centre Southampton (NOCS)
- University of Costa Rica
- North Sea Regional Advisory Council
- Haribon Foundation
You have the support of a marine science research community including 30 research students, six-10 post-doctoral scientists, six technicians and 13 full-time academic staff. This provides you with abundant opportunities to progress your scientific career, whether in industry or academia. Students have been successful at finding employment in industry, academia, government agencies and non-governmental organisations. You will also train to produce final projects of publishable quality.