Develop detailed knowledge and understanding of the issues facing subsea engineers working with the flow of fluids through pipelines and other structures.
A core part of our Masters in Subsea Engineering, this course gives you a thorough grounding in fundamental fluid engineering, with a particular emphasis on system modelling and design.
Enjoy expert teaching, invited lectures from experienced engineers, and direct industry input. Ensure you’re up to speed with new technologies and train in state-of-the-art flow assurance software.
Advance your career as a graduate engineer with a university at the heart of the UK energy sector. Access our expertise and support wherever you’re based, with part-time hours to fit around your existing commitments.
What will I study?
Transport of oil and gas through pipelines poses many challenges for the engineer. These challenges require a real grasp of the fundamentals of:
- fluid mechanics
- heat transfer
- phase changes
- deposition and/or obstruction
You’ll study the processes and problems associated with the flow of hydrocarbon product through subsea systems, with a particular emphasis on the fundamentals of system modelling and design.
You’ll gain knowledge and skills in single and multiphase fluid flow, thermodynamics and phase behaviour, including the effects of temperature and pressure, and heat transfer by conduction and natural or forced convection.
Topics you’ll cover include:
- chemical properties of the principal hydrocarbon fluids
- methods to assess the phase diagram and thermophysical properties of fluids transported along pipelines
- techniques to model single-phase and multiphase flow and resulting design implications
- causes and effects of waxing, hydrate build-up, asphaltenes, scale and other chemical obstacles to fluid flow through pipelines
- techniques to assess erosion and maintain pipelines free of obstructions
- mathematical techniques to model flow dynamics
- mathematical techniques for the thermal modelling of pipelines
- future design trends.
For this course, you’ll apply through our Applicant Portal. It allows you to upload relevant qualifications and documents. Our admissions team will then review these and get back to you. Read How to apply through our Applicant Portal for all you need to know.
You need to apply by the course start date to ensure you are enrolled in time.
Am I ready?
Applicants for this course are expected to hold a relevant degree. However, alternative/lower qualifications, combined with an appropriate level of relevant experience, may also be considered for entry.