The school provides instruction and research opportunities at the graduate level: biological, chemical, and physical oceanography, and marine geology and geophysics. The program emphasizes independent research in conjunction with basic and specialized courses. Interdisciplinary research is encouraged, and students work across scientific boundaries. Coursework during the first two years is required in each option; specialized coursework is structured to fit the student's background and objectives. Foreign-language proficiency is required only when deemed crucial to scholarly research.
Master of Science
Includes coursework in the student's area of interest and the other oceanography options, as well as completion of an approved research project and oral presentation of the results. Thesis and non-thesis programs are offered; most students select the non-thesis option.
- One official copy of transcript(s) from all colleges or universities attended
- Minimum 3.00 GPA or B for last 90 quarter (60 semester) credits
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores for international students
- Statement of goals and objectives, which may include any or all of the following: how or why applicant became interested in oceanography, significant accomplishments, summary of research experience, research area(s) of special interest, ultimate goals, extracurricular activities and interests.
- Three letters of recommendation on School of Oceanography forms. Recommendations should be from faculty or scientists familiar with the applicant's academic achievements and research experience. Applicants out of school for some time may include recommendations from employer(s), should include at least one letter from academic faculty.
- Thesis program: Minimum 36 quarter credits (27 course credits and 9 credits of thesis). Non-thesis program: Minimum 36 quarter credits of coursework.
- Minimum 18 credits numbered 500 and above. (In a thesis program, 9 credits may be OCEAN 700.)
- Numerical grades in at least 18 quarter credits taken through the UW. Minimum cumulative 3.00 GPA
- Minimum three full-time quarters of residence credit. Part-time quarters may be accumulated to meet this requirement.
- Final master's examination