Since 1980 the postgraduate program in Marine Ecology has trained scientists who have excelled as researchers and professors in higher education institutions, as well as government employees and private sector entrepreneurs.
The objective of the program is to train highly trained individuals who carry out theoretical and applied studies, who contribute to the solution of environmental problems and who play a leading role in the advancement of scientific knowledge about various ecosystems.
The lines of research range from the molecular and cellular scales to the scope of communities and ecosystems. The main research areas are grouped into four lines of knowledge generation and application:
-Ecology of Coastal and Ocean Ecosystems
-Biological and fishery oceanography.
-Use and conservation of marine resources.
-Biogeochemical processes and global change.
*Foreign candidates information
The National Council for Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT), provides fellowships to foreign students interested in studying a doctoral or master’s degree in Mexico in all areas of knowledge.
Mexico offers more than 1,800 doctoral, masters and specialization degrees accredited by the Education Ministry and CONACYT through the Quality Postgraduates National Program (PNPC).
All of CICESE’s graduate programs are accredited by CONACYT and thus, accepted applicants can be candidates for receiving a fellowship from CONACYT. Please note that most courses and its materials are in Spanish, so a good understanding of the language is a must.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
- A minimum average grade point of 8 (in a scale 10 to 0) in the immediate previous level of studies;
- A good comprehension of Spanish;
- Apply in a Call for Admission for a master or doctoral program and be accepted to enroll;
- Upon receiving your acceptance letter, you must apply for a student visa in any embassy or consulate of Mexico in your country. As a candidate for a CONACYT scholarship, the requirement for financial support in the visa application will be waived. When you arrive to Mexico, you will need to obtain a student immigration card from the Immigration Institute;
- When you obtain your student immigration card, you will need to open a CONACYT account to fill an online CVU Curriculum (Spanish only);
- Once enrolled in the program, we will start the scholarship application process;
- The first fellowship deposit (in a bank account) may take up 4 months after enrolment, so be prepared to pay by yourself your expenses for this period of time (the first deposit will include the first months of scholarship);
- You must be a full-time student.
BENEFITS FOR THE FELLOW STUDENT
- Monthly stipend fellowship to students accepted in any of our programs.
- Financial aid to make academic stays in universities or research institutes from Mexico or abroad.
- Medical service provided by a Public Health Institute
The National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT) offers a program of financial support to carry out master and doctoral studies.
The graduate of the Master of Science in Marine Ecology will have the knowledge and skills to solve problems related to marine science at various scales, from the molecular level to the ecosystem level and the ecology of the marine landscape
The oceanographic training and academic training will allow the graduate to pose questions that will be directed to relevant research, as well as obtain, analyze and interpret physical, chemical and biological scientific information for the study of oceanic and coastal ecosystems.
-Admission exam (PAEP)
-Certificate of Undergraduate Studies: with a minimum average of 80 (scale from 0 to 100).
*In case of coming from an institution where the rating scale is different from the one mentioned, an official or authorized document must be presented that allows establishing an equivalence.
-Bachelor's degree, professional ID and professional examination certificate (the latter, in case of having presented thesis defense).
-Academic recommendation: from at least three previous professors, researchers or bosses who know you. The recommendation is confidential following the procedure indicated in the online admission application (the applicant must not know the content of it).