The international degree program “Ship Management” at the University of Applied Sciences in Bremen is a full-time study program. The curriculum reflects the provisions of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) for seagoing ships (unlimited) for the operational level (officer of the watch) and management level (Chief Officer and Master).
Practical part: According to the STCW-Convention every student has to spend a minimum of 52 weeks under the supervision of a responsible person on board of a merchant vessel. This is assured by appropriate internships on board seagoing vessels above 500 GT. It is recommended to have the first on-board training (6 months or more) prior to the commence of studies. The remaining on-board training time (6 months) are possible to achieve in the 5th semester.
Theory part: The study program is of general character and contains multiple subjects. Most focus is on:
- Navigation and meteorology
- Watchkeeping, marine communication and maneuvering
- Ship’s technology, safety and security, fleet management
- Cargo technologies (liquid & gas cargo, dry cargo, hazardous cargo)
- Maritime legislation and human resource management
In addition modules as medical care, radio operations and compulsory electives on specific ship types and maritime management are offered. In the 1st semester a project “Applied Seamanship” (12 days) is part of the studies which takes place on the Sail Training Ship ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT 2. A contribution fee for this excursion of about 250 € is expected by every student in the first semester. An introduction into the professional field of BLUE SCIENCES is offered together with students of the study programs “Shipping & Chartering” and “Ship Design and Maritime Technologies”.
Simulator trainings are obligatory:
- ARPA [5 days - Radar-Simulator]
- ECDIS [5 days - ECDIS-Simulator Ship]
- Handling/Watchkeeping [7 days - Ship Handling Simulator]
- Safety Management [ 2 days - Ship Handling Simulator]
- Bridge Resource Management [6 days - Ship Handling Simulato]
A „Liquid Cargo Simulator“ and a „Ship Engine Simulator“ are used in the corresponding lectures.