The Division of Aquaculture is one of the oldest divisions of ICAR-Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai. The division has a well-established biology laboratory, soil and water chemistry laboratory and a wet laboratory for conducting practicals and students’ research. The state-of –the- art aquarium is an added asset of the division, housing more than 30 endemic and exotic species for public awareness and in-house educational purposes.
The Institute at present admits students to the P.G. School under two separate streams namely, Open Competition and Foreign Students.
The admission policies and procedures have been prescribed by the Academic Council keeping in view the distinct arenas and requirements of candidates coming from various streams. The details of these policies and procedures are:
- Open Competition
An advertisement for admission to M.F.Sc. courses is published by ICAR, New Delhi, in the leading newspapers of India each year during January/February inviting applications for admission.
The total number of students to be admitted in Masters and Doctoral degree programmes in an academic year is decided by the Academic Council, keeping in view the availability of teaching faculty and the laboratory facilities. The number of seats available in each academic discipline will be clearly indicated in the admission notice and is not altered without the concurrence of the Academic Council. Aquaculture has 10 seats available.
Documents to be attached are:
Proof of date of birth
Matriculation (Xth ) or equivalent certificate and marksheet
10+2/intermediate/pre-university/pre-degree examination/higher secondary certificate and mark sheet
Bachelor's degree certificate and mark sheet
Selection for M.F.Sc.
A combined examination for the award of ICAR Junior Research Fellowship and admissions to 100% seats of Master's Degree Programme at CIFE is conducted by the Education Division, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Krishi Anusandhan Bhavan - II, Pusa, New Delhi - 110012, in April.
The subject-wise syllabi for the combined examination are given in the Information Bulletin. The Application Form and Information Bulletin can be obtained by post from the Assistant Director General (EPD), ICAR, Krishi Anusandhan Bhavan - II, Pusa, New Delhi - 110012.
Candidates will be selected at the time of counseling for the award of ICAR Junior Research Fellowship and admission to State Agricultural Universities and Deemed Universities on the basis of merit in the Entrance Examination
Five seats in M.F.Sc. are reserved for the in-service candidates belonging to the state fisheries departments over and above the allotted seats by ICAR. However, the candidates not possessing B.F.Sc. degree, but having experience of more than five years in the department may have to undergo deficiency course for one year duration in the relevant field before they join the regular M.F.Sc. programme
Two seat each is reserved for Physically Handicapped and Kashmiri Migrants and candidates from Underprivileged States.
- ICAR offers Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for post graduate education leading to Master's Degree Program at the rate of Rs. 5760/- per month for two years with a contingent grant of Rs. 6000/- per annum (for procurement of essential chemicals, equipments, books and travel allowances connected with collection of research data). Continuance of Fellowship after the 1st year is dependent on maintaining required OGPA as per guidelines.
- As per 41st Academic council approval , the students who secures and maintains required O.G.P.A. even if he/she has not cleared the examination in a particular course , will be entitled for fellowship. However, the student will remain on ‘Scholastic probation’ until he/she clears the examination for the course(s).
- The JRF will be given only to those candidates who join the M.F.Sc. Program in the University/Institute other than that from where he/she has obtained the Bachelor's Degree. Under no circumstances, change of subject for JRF will be entertained.
- A maximum of Rs. 2500/- in the first year could be utilised for purchase of books and Rs. 2500/- for preparation of thesis. The remaining contingent grant would exclusively be utilised for contingency connected with conduct of research work.
- Institutional Fellowship for M.F.Sc. Programs is at present at the rate of Rs. 5040/- per month for two years. Contingent grant given is Rs. 6000/- per year at Masters level.
Only those candidates having their Bachelor’s Degree in Fisheries Science (B.F.Sc.) under the 10+2+4 system are eligible to apply for admission. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks or an overall grade point average (OGPA) of 6.50 out of 10.00, 3.25 out of 5.00 or 2.60 out of 4.00 (for SC/ST candidates, 55% marks or OGPA of 6.00 out of 10.00, 3.00 out of 5.00 or 2.40 out of 4.00).
Minimum age limit is 19 years as on 31st July for the academic year starting on 1st August the same calendar year. As approved by the 40th Academic Council, five seats per year are allotted to the candidates from state fisheries departments. These seats are over and above the regular seats. The minimum eligibility for the admission of in service candidates is B.F.Sc.; however, the candidates having an equivalent degree with five years’ experience in the state department service will also be eligible for admission, but they have to pass the deficiency course of one year duration before joining the regular M.F.Sc. programme.