The Department was established in 1978 and this is one of the three Universities in the Country offering M.Sc. in Marine Geology. The courses offered by the department are: M. Sc. in Marine Geology, M. Sc. in Geoinformatics (since 1999-2000) and Ph. D. in Marine Geology and Geoinformatics. The Student Teacher Ratio: 1:6. Semester / Choice Based Credit System is followed by the department.
- Marine Geology is one of the interdisciplinary and stimulating branches of Earth Science. The students who are interested to study M.Sc. in Marine Geology will learn about the origin and evolution of the global oceans, the past history of the earth’s climate, the earth’s natural resources and their exploitation.
- Marine Geologists study the formations, composition, history of seafloor, marine sediments, their physical and chemical characteristics, and other factors, including sediment origin, distribution and age, By combining their knowledge of marine chemistry and physical oceanography, marine geologists they obtain the information about the dynamics of the Earth and how the movement of plates and continents results in events such as volcanoes and earthquakes. In addition to this, the marine geologists work with biologists and chemical oceanographers to learn more about historical climate records and animal and plant life by examining sediment and rock cores for fossils and analyzing sediment composition using radiocarbon dating and other methods.
- The course is open to all science graduates. Candidates with Bachelor degree of Mangalore University or any other degree considered as equivalent there to with any three science subjects or two science subjects with geography at the undergraduate level or B.E. in any subject are eligible to apply provided they have secured a minimum of 45% (40% for SC/ST/Category-I candidates) marks aggregate including languages and Group III subjects.
- The course contents include exotic subjects like Oceanography (Physical, Chemical, Geological and Biological); Marine Resources; Geophysics and Geodynamics; Atmospheric Sciences (Meteorology & Climatology); Geochemistry & Mineralogy; Petrology; Structural Geology; Stratigraphy & Palaeontology; Geomorphology; Economic Geology; Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing & GIS and Surveying.
- The students who quality this course are eligibility to get jobs not only the government department such as in Geological Survey of India; Oil and Natural Gas Commission (ONGC); National Institute of Oceanography, (NIO); National Institute of ocean Technology (NIOT); Central Ground Water Board (CGWB); State Mines and Geology Departments but also in private sectors and multinational companies. In addition, students can pursue higher education like Ph.D. in Universities and R & D Labs.
- Facilities: Remote Sensing and GIS Laboratories, Magnetic Susceptibility Meter, A.F. DeMagnetizer with A.R.M. Attachment, Pulse Magnetizer, Spinner Fluxgate Magnetometer, UV Spectrophotometer, pH Meter, Salinity Refractometer, Water Quality Kit, Water Samplers, Grab sampler, Isodynamic Separator, Microscopes, Eco-sounder, Current meter, Sea truth spectroradiometer, Marine Radiometer, Mirror Stereoscopes with parallax bar Large-format Optical Enlarger and Optical Pantograph etc.