A Bachelor of Science in Fisheries and Ocean Sciences provides a rigorous scientific program of study for students interested in the fields of fish and fisheries biology and ecology, marine biology and oceanography. The major is designed to provide broad background knowledge about quantification and physical, biological and ecosystem sciences. Flexibility in course selection allows students to plan their program while considering their specific interests, goals, and future plans.
While pursuing a B.S. in Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, students will:
- Choose between two concentrations:
- Fisheries Science
- Ocean Sciences (classes in Marine Biology and Oceanography)
- Complete 120 credits of coursework from a variety of disciplines, with a focus on fish and fisheries biology, ecology, marine biology and oceanography
- Participate in the Experiential Learning Program
- Most courses available via distance delivery
- Study in Fairbanks, Juneau or Anchorage
- Receive individualized advising and mentorship from experienced faculty advisors
Completion of a B.S. in Fisheries and Ocean Sciences prepares students for:
- Freshwater and marine research, conservation and management careers at local, state, federal, tribal and nongovernmental organizations in Alaska and throughout North America
- Private sector employment, including environmental consultants, fishing and aquaculture companies, and seafood processors
- Graduate studies in a variety of programs, such as Fisheries, Marine Biology and Oceanography
What Are College Grants?
College grants are sources of financial aid that can be used for any educational expense and do not need to be repaid after graduation. Many grants for college are based on financial need, which is determined from information provided in your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There are also merit-based grants that are awarded to students based on academic achievement, involvement in the community or other criteria.
Because many grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, we recommend that you complete your FAFSA as early as possible to receive the maximum funds you may be eligible for.
Please visit: https://uaf.edu/finaid/grants.php