Doctoral candidates are required to produce a thesis containing original work of suitable merit to demonstrate their command of the relevant research methodology and their ability to undertake independent research. The thesis should make a significant contribution to the body of knowledge in the specific area, as demonstrated by at least one paper being published or accepted for publication in an international, specialized, refereed journal. The student should identify the research problem in consultation with the supervisor, which normally takes place at the time of application. A student may not submit for assessment thesis material which has already been submitted for another degree at Sultan Qaboos University or any other academic institution.
Whilst there is no minimum course work requirement, a program or Thesis Committee may specify certain course work requirements which are deemed to be in the candidate’s interest. These requirements must be completed within the first year of study.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor degree from Sultan Qaboos University or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Applicant should have a Master's degree in Marine Science from Sultan Qaboos University or from any other recognized university.
- A Cumulative Grade Point Average of not less than 3.00 on a 4-point scale or equivalent in any other system and the Deanship of Postgraduate studies makes the assessment for equivalency acceptance.
- A cumulative GPA ranging between 2.75 and 2.99 on a 4-point scale or its equivalent, taking into account the applicant’s work experience and any academic activities they are engaged.
- Two letters of reference from academics, to show competence in the discipline of interest and research capabilities.
- Applicant should submit a statement of intent outlining and goals of the research proposed.
- Applicant must submit a release letter or a study leave from employer, addressed to the dean of postgraduate studies at SQU. Un-employed applicant needs to submit a statement from The Public Authority of Manpower Register documenting the unemployment status of the applicant.