The course mainly focuses on climate change and sustainable development through media coverage (print media and visual media). The aim of the course is to equip students with:
- understanding of the role of media and the impact it has in shaping current discourses on the topic of climate change and sustainable development;
- skills for systematic and critical evaluation of current climate change discourses and;
- the skills to select an effective communication style for intended target groups.
This course includes optional Arctic Circle conference participation.
Only for students in Coastal and Marine Management (MRM programme) or Coastal Communities and Regional Development
On completion of the course, a student:
- can identify key texts, films and websites dedicated to the topic of climate change.
- can identify and discuss key international discourse themes on the topic of climate change and defend, or oppose, given climate change positions derived from such discourses.
- can systematically evaluate current climate change discourses using media framing techniques.