This course provides theoretical and practical knowledge on the design and operation of desalination systems and membrane processes (microfiltration, ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis).
Professionals dealing with engineering, management and education in the fields of desalination of seawater and brackish water, water supply and urban infrastructure will benefit greatly from this short course. It is also helpful for post graduate students in civil, chemical, and environmental engineering. Participants from government organisations (such as local administrations and national agencies), non-governmental organisations and the private sector are encouraged to join. This course is ideal for practicing engineers who are working in the water supply systems.
Participants should meet the general IHE Delft's admission criteria, and possess a BSc degree in chemical, environmental, or civil engineering.
Upon completion, the participant should be able to:
- Understand the role and limitations of desalination technology in alleviating water scarcity. And, understand the basic principles, advantages and limitations of both thermal and membrane based desalination systems.
- Understand the basic principles of low pressure membrane technology such as ultrafiltration and microfiltration and their practical application in water treatment. And, be able to judge MF/UF operation and select appropriate pre-treatment and cleaning.
- Have in-depth knowledge on process design and operation of reverse osmosis plants for brackish and seawater desalination applications.
- Be able to select pre-treatment and post-treatment processes required to meet reverse osmosis design guidelines depending on raw water (surface, ground or wastewater) quality and desired permeate quality in potable and industrial applications.
- Be able to select and use appropriate water quality methods and models to monitor and predict fouling in reverse osmosis and MF/UF systems.
- Understand the basic principles of advanced oxidation processes and be able to select AOP processes to remove specific contaminants.
- Understand the basic principles of chemical softening and ion exchange and their practical application in water treatment.