Naval Architects and Marine Engineers are professional engineers which are responsible for desing stage, building stage and maintanance of all kinds of floating objects. Including;
- Commercial ships
- Passanger ships, Ferries
- Warships – Frigates, Destroyers, Airplane carriers, Amphibious ships
- Submarines and under water vehicles
- Offshore petroleum platforms, submersible platforms
- High speed crafts, Hovercrafts, Hydrofoil boats
- Workboats, Fishing vessels, Tug boats, Pilot boats, Rescue boats
- Yachts, Mega yachts
- Floating devices for the purpose of pleasure and tourism
As a result of modern engineering, these structures develop out of contributions of many engineering diciplines and teamwork. Therefore, Naval Engineers’ management skills should also be improved.
Our vision is to become a department recognized at international level with its efficiency and effectiveness in continuously renewing itself, in developing contemporary education, training and research methods, in applying the findings of research and development to technology, and in educating and training leading, creative engineers with contemporary professional knowledge and skills.
Our mission is to lead the education and training in naval architecture and shipbuilding in Turkey with a curriculum and a program based on the principle of lifelong development, without compromising the theoretical and conceptual development, along with up-to-date design and production techniques. The main purpose of developing such a program is to provide our students with the ability to carry out team work and to synthesize knowledge to solve problems, and with leadership, good communication and managerial skills. We believe that the theoretical and conceptual integrity is indispensable for our students to pursue technological progress.
- To provide our students with all necessary skills for their professional activities in engineering design and production, along with social skills required for their lifetime in a democratic community,
- To encourage and to motivate our graduates for further academic life in postgraduate studies and research,
- To provide our students with a powerful foundation to enable them to succeed in teamwork, in written and oral communication, in utilizing knowledge for problem solving and in decision making and lifelong learning,
- Along with theoretical and conceptual modern development, to provide the students with competency necessary for efficient and creative studies in related media,
- To provide the students with the written and oral presentation skills together with competence in using modern engineering design and production tools.
a. An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
b. An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
c. An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs
d. Ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
e. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
f. An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
g. An ability to communicate effectively
h. The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
i. A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
j. A knowledge of contemporary issues
k. An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
l. An ability to apply basic knowledge in fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, material properties, and energy/propulsion systems in the context of marine vehicles