The course includes general principles of fish catching methods and fishing gear, principles of fish finding devices and the role of the fishing skipper as a hunter. It is divided into the following main categories: Role of the fishing skipper as a hunter. Environmental conditions below the water surface. Fish body shape of and how they move. Fish sensory system. Fishing net fabrics, the mesh and the net. Major fishing gears used in commercial fisheries and the gear design. Behaviour of fish nearby fishing gears. Fishing vessels groups and their relevant fishing gears. General principles of acoustics and the fish finding devices. Practical training includes a field trip on a marine research vessel with an experiment on selected fishing gears. Course assessment: Independent scientific thesis with data analyses and presentation, practical training and a report from the practical training.
Oportunidades de financiamiento/becas
On completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe types of fishing vessels and associate them to relevant fishing gears
- Account for fish vision, hearing, smell/taste and swimming abilities of fishes
- Perform simple fishing gear design calculations
- Explain function of major fishing gears in commercial fisheries and their shortcomings
- Describe fish behaviour nearby fishing gears and the impacts of environmental factors
- Compare the ecosystem effect of different fishing gears
- Acquire fishing gear data, solve it with spreadsheet software and return in complete thesis and a public seminar in English.
- Describe main principles of fisheries acoustics and utilization of fish finding instruments
- Perform fishing with selected fishing gears.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)