Morphology, biology and taxonomy of benthic and pelagic marine animals are studied by a series of lectures, on-site field work from both shore and boat, snorkeling, student presentations, exercises including species and habitat identification. The various taxonomic groups and research topics are treated by specialists.
The course provides an obvious opportunity for practical use of theoretical knowledge achieved during the BSc courses and MSc courses Marine Biology, Animal morphology and Danish Fauna – Vertebrates.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
Proceso de aplicación
Self Service at KUnet
Resultados del aprendizaje
This course gives the participants a broad knowledge about
- Collection methods
- Identification of Danish marine fishes and benthic and pelagic invertebrates.
- The morphology, biology and taxonomy of relevant marine animals.
By the end of the course the students are expected to have achieved the following skills:
- Describe the morphology, biology and taxonomy of the larger groups of marine animal and relate it to both evolution and environment (habitat).
- Identify Danish Marine fishes and species in the major, marine benthic invertebrate groups.
- Overall knowledge about the phylogeny and evolution of the major groups of marine animals
- Use techniques for collection and identification of marine meiofauna
- Use techniques for collection and identification of holo- and meroplankton.
By the end of the course the students are expected to have achieved the following competences:
- Relate the occurrence and composition of a specific benthic fauna to function, evolution and habitat
- Be able to choose the optimal collection devise for a given type of bottom for a faunistic survey.
- Be able to differentiate between gear used for qualitative and quantitative purposes and to perform a critical evaluation of the limits and benefits when making results and conclusions.
- Plan and perform a quantitative bottom fauna investigation, including analysis and discussion of the results.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)