By covering theory and practice, the PhD course BIO-8514 provides guidelines for correct choice, implementation, interpretation and presentation of statistical analyses in biology with particular focus on multivariate methods. The course consists of an intensive week of theory, covered in lectures by Prof Michael Greenacre, and related practicals, in pclab sessions by Dr Raul Primicerio using the statistical software R. During the intensive week we will cover a broad range of statistical methods including clustering, Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Correspondence Analysis (CA), Constrained Correspondence Analysis (CCA). The course will also cover statistical modeling and graphic presentation (e.g. dendrograms, biplots).
Proceso de aplicación
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. Valid documentation is a statement from your institution that you are a registered PhD student, or a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. PhD students are exempt from semester fee.
Resultados del aprendizaje
- Develop ability to critical thinking and increase interpretation skills
- Increase students competence in graphical presentation and statistical analysis
- Be able to present, interpret and statistically evaluate own data
- Be able to choose, use and present results from multivariate analyses
- Be able to specify and apply statistical models
- Be able to use the statistical software R for graphic presentation and statistical analysis of biological data
Categorías CINE (ISCED)