The aim is to give a basic introduction to underwater acoustics. The course covers the acoustic wave propagation, reflection and transmission in fluid media, ray tracing and normal modes methods for solving wave equation; the principle of design underwater acoustic system such as electroacoustic transducers used for generating and receiving sound, sonar and echo sounder and the use of sonar for detection and localization of objects in the sea; signal processing in sonar systems and sonar equations and their applications.
Resultados del aprendizaje
The course will give an introduction to underwater acoustic theory, the sonar engineering and the use of underwater acoustics for the detection and localization of objects and for communication.
The candidate has:
- Good knowledge on the basic principle of establishing acoustic wave equation;
- In-depth knowledge on techniques for modeling of wave propagation in underwater;
- Detailed understanding of sonar systems for sound generation and reception, detection and localization of objects;
- Good knowledge on basic theory and signal processing tools for underwater communication and navigation, and for acoustic remote sensing.
The candidate can
- Model and analyze wave propagation in underwater using theoretical and numerical models;
- Analyze sonar systems for detection and location of objects;
- Use acoustic remote sensing of the seabed structure and composition, and of oceanographic conditions.
- Use mathematical and theoretical knowledge to solve practical tasks related to sonar and seismic applications and underwater acoustic communications.
- The student can gain experience in the use of theoretical and mathematical knowledge to solve practical tasks related to sonar and seismic applications.
Recommended previous knowledge
Knowledge in mathematics and physics corresponding to the study program in the 1st and 2nd year for electronics or equivalent background.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)