This course introduces students to the basic laboratory methods for measuring the geotechnical properties of marine sediments.
This includes measurements of index properties, undrained shear strength, consolidation and permeability. Students will learn how to integrate these results with geophysical data to describe the bottom stratigraphy, geotechnical properties and geological history of a sampling site.
The course deals with:
- Sediment characterisation for marine offshore site investigations.
- Index properties and classification schemes for marine sediments.
- Undrained shear strength of marine sediments.
- Consolidation and permeability of marine sediments.
For admission to the course, knowledge equivalent to a Bachelor's degree is required, which must include at least 90 ECTS credits in geology, earth science, oceanography, or environmental science. Mathematics corresponding to at least 7.5 ECTS credits at the undergraduate level is required. English 6 or equivalent.
Resultados del aprendizaje
After completing the course the student is expected to:
- understand the significance of effective stress and pore pressure on the engineering properties of marine sediments.
- conduct and interpret basic laboratory measurements of undrained shear strength, consolidation and permeability.
- apply marine geotechnical data to describe the geologic history and/or stratigraphy of an offshore sampling site.- be able to interpret and report on marine geotechnical site investigations.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)