The course provides a basic view of all aspects of hydrology, without in-depth in specific areas. The main focus of the course is groundwater. The course aims to give the students an understanding of the variety of hydrological or hydrogeological issues, different applications, concepts and methods.
The course focuses on the quantitative water-related aspects. Qualitative aspects (water chemistry) are treated to a lesser extent. The course provides an introduction to hydrology and hydrogeology and is not intended to give the students the knowledge required to perform hydrological/hydrogeological projects on a professional level.
For admission to the course, at least 45 credits in the main field of Earth Sciences, Geography, Environmental Science or Marine Science is required. In addition, approved knowledge in Earth Sciences is required, the course GV1410 Geosciences, Basic Level Course, 30 credits, or equivalent. Applicants with equivalent education can, after review and approval, be given access to the course.
Oportunidades de financiamiento/becas
EU/EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students do not pay fees. More information on: http://www.universityadmissions.se
Resultados del aprendizaje
On successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
Knowledge and understanding
- understand important concepts and basic concepts in hydrology and hydrogeology and the management of water resources.
- understand and describe the role of water and the importance of different types of water resources within the hydrological cycle, and its relevance to the humanity and the ecosystem.
- understand and use relevant terminology.
- understand the most important theoretical concepts in hydrology and hydrogeology.
- understand the main application areas and the most important hydrological methods.
Competence and skills
- conduct, on a basic level, calculations and use basic hydrological or hydrogeological methods.
- characterize a hydrological or hydrogeological issue, choose method and define the necessary data needed to analyze and solve the issue.
Judgement and approach
- characterize a hydrological or hydrogeological issue, its consequence for the environment, the necessary data needed for a detailed investigation and the method/tool best suited for solving the issue.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)