Do you want to protect coastal communities from the threat of flooding? Are you interested in how engineers think about the sustainability of our coastlines and the consequences of climate change? Would you like to design large structures that withstand the strength of storms and the sea? Our Coastal Engineers graduate with the skills and knowledge of a Civil Engineer combined with specialist skills for designing and creating infrastructure that functions in the coastal environment.
This professionally accredited course allows you the flexibility to change to other civil engineering programmes. We offer a mentoring scheme that puts you in touch with our professional network of alumni. You can also enhance your professional competence by choosing to take a year in industry. You will receive support and inspiration from enthusiastic academic staff from the day you arrive through to your joining our exciting profession as a graduate Plymouth Engineer.
- In the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), also known as the Shanghai Ranking we are eighth out of 50, and the highest ranked UK university, for Marine/Ocean Engineering.
- Distinguish yourself professionally with an accredited degree. Our BEng (Hons) is accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE), Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE) and The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation on behalf of the Engineering Council, for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng). You'll qualify for membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Benefit from our £19 million Marine Building, where you’ll find facilities for teaching water and coastal engineering. You’ll be taught modules in coastal engineering and water management, preparing you to specialise in design or flood risk management.
- Lay strong foundations for a successful career using our extensive industry links to secure a paid, one-year work placement. Gain the confidence, real-world know-how and vital industry experience employers are looking for.
- Learn a host of design skills from problem solving to sustainable development, as well as enhancing the critical thinking that plays a key role in the work of a civil engineer.
- Work with the latest industry-standard software, in our high specification laboratories. You’ll develop a strong understanding of fundamental principles, while honing your skills at the same time.
- Learn from professionally qualified experts with relevant experience from the civil engineering industry, and researchers with national and international reputations.
- Increase your employability by taking an extra-curricular Health and Safety Executive (HSE), recognised diving qualification (subject to availability).
- Progress onto MEng (Hons) Civil and Coastal Engineering at the end of the second year, subject to achieving the required level of academic performance on the BEng (Hons).
- Develop your professional skills including communication, self-management, team working and leadership so you’re ready to hit the ground running in your future career.
- Learn in a progressive environment, the University of Plymouth is a recipient of the Athena Bronze award, in recognition of advancing the careers of women scientists and engineers.
Proceso de aplicación
All applications for undergraduate courses are made through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
UCAS will ask for the information contained in the box at the top of this course page including the UCAS course code and the institution code.
To apply for this course and for more information about submitting an application including application deadline dates, please visit the UCAS website.
Oportunidades de financiamiento/becas
The Plymouth Engineer Scholarship: civil and coastal engineering degrees
Up to £1,000. Students are automatically paid £500/£250 for an A / B in Mathematics A level and/or one further sum of £500/£250 for an A / B in a relevant science subject or in A level Geography. This is awarded to home/EU applicants who put us as their firm choice before the 1 August 2020. The scholarship is paid during the first semester of the first year.
There are additional prizes and awards to reward high achievement in later years of the degree.
Undergraduate scholarships for international students
To reward outstanding achievement the University of Plymouth offers scholarship schemes to help towards funding your studies.
104 - 120
Applicants exceeding our entry requirements may be eligible for an offer under our Engineering and Navigation Excellence Scheme.
A level: A typical offer will be 112 points with a minimum of 2 A levels, to include a C in A level Maths plus studying second Science/Technology subject: Applied ICT, Applied Science, Applied Science (DA), Biology, Chemistry, Computing/Computer Science, DT (Product Design Resistant Materials), DT (Systems and Control Tech) DT Product Design (Textiles Tech), Electronics, Engineering, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Further Maths/Use of, Statistics, Music Technology, Physics, Technology and Design. Excluding General Studies.
BTEC National Extended Diploma in Engineering: DDD to include all mathematics units with Distinction. Level 3 Engineering Principles (Mandatory Module), Level 3 Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems (Mandatory Module) and Level 3 Further Engineering Mathematics (Optional Module).
Or, where A or AS level mathematics has been achieved: DMM to include all mathematics units with Merit. (Core Maths not accepted).
New Diploma RQF: DDD, to include distinctions in level 3 engineering principles, calculus to solve engineering problems and further engineering mathematics.
Note the admissions tutor will consider DMM to include all mathematics units with merit, where a pass in A or AS level mathematics has been achieved.
12 unit QCF Diploma/RQF National – is considered alongside A/AS level Maths
BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the full list of modules within your qualification at the time of application.
International Baccalaureate: 26-30 overall to include 5 at Higher Level Maths, plus a second relevant subject. (Standard Level Maths is NOT acceptable in lieu of Higher Level)
English accepted within: Higher Level = 4 Standard Level = 5
If overseas and not studying English within IB – MUST have IELTS: 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each element
Access to HE Diploma in Engineering: pass Access in Engineering to include 45 credits at level 3. All pure mathematics, engineering mathematics and physics credits must be passed at merit or above. Must include 21 credits (3 credits for each level 3 unit) of mathematics with a distinction.
Access to HE Diploma (other):
Pass other relevant Access to HE Diploma with 45 credits at level 3. Must include 33 credits at merit or above. Must include 21 credits in level 3 mathematics with distinction and 15 credits in physics, with merit or above.
Other non-A level qualifications also considered, please enquire.
Students may also apply for the BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering with Foundation Year. Successful completion of the foundation year enables progression to the first year of one of our civil engineering degrees.
We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
Please note: We understand that many applicants remain anxious about meeting the exact terms of our standard conditional offers. We will look again at your application and revise our offer for those applicants who we continue to believe are a good match to our courses, once we have the certainty of your actual results in August.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)