This course gives you an understanding of marine engineering and its practice. It covers topics associated with Naval Architecture (hull and propulsor) and Marine Engineering (machinery).
We are currently enhancing our taught programmes to:
- provide more industrial context
- offer more flexibility and choice
- deliver an enhanced educational experience
About this course
The course develops your practical skills to enable you to:
- design, select, analyse and install marine propulsion and transmission systems
- produce mathematical and computer modelling of marine machinery and engineering systems
- design and analyse control systems for marine machinery
- use mathematics and physics appropriate to marine technology
- develop engineering solutions to practical problems
- test design ideas through laboratory work or simulation with technical analysis
- critically evaluate results
- integrate and analyse information from a variety of sources
Teaching consists of lectures, practical sessions, seminars and personal supervision covering a variety of topics in marine engineering.
You will choose an individual dissertation project. This may be theoretical, experimental or the development of a simulation model of marine engineering systems. It can include ships' propulsion and power transmission systems. Our research strengths include:
- design of diesel-electric hybrid propulsion configurations
- engine emission prediction and simulation
- online ship performance monitoring and optimisation
- ballast water management
You benefit from participating in projects sponsored directly by industry partners whenever they are available.
Six taught modules worth 100 credits are delivered through semester one and/or two. A dissertation research project, worth 80 credits, is undertaken across the three semesters.
The course is delivered by the School of Engineering.
It is also available with a preliminary year if you do not meet the entry criteria for the one year MSc course.
Proceso de aplicación
Oportunidades de financiamiento/becas
Categorías CINE (ISCED)