The Department of Biology and Marine Biology offers a program of study and research leading to the doctor of philosophy in marine biology. The program provides students with a broad background and overview of the fields comprising marine biology and make use of the diverse interests of the marine biology faculty within the department. As is generally the case, the Ph.D. program is primarily a research degree. As such, it is intended to serve students with interests in conducting research in academia, industry, and government along with those who intend to become faculty in undergraduate teaching institutions, managers in technology-based industries and policy makers in government. Students will learn the process of identifying, defining and solving an original research problem. The program also includes a teaching practicum with classroom instruction in pedagogical techniques and technologies along with lecture experience under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
Ph.D. Marine Biology Student Learning Outcomes
- Learning Outcome #1a: A graduate student should be able to develop a research plan.
- Learning Outcome #1b: A graduate student should be able to present and defend a research plan.
- Learning Outcome #2: A graduate student should be able to independently answer questions regarding their research field.
- Learning Objective #3: A graduate student should be able to communicate his or her research to a broadly-trained public audience.
- Learning Objective #4: A graduate student should be able to write up his or her research in the form of a manuscript for publication in a scientific journal.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)