In consideration of development plans in Saudi Arabia, which kept pace with global developments in science and technology, it was important to exploit and optimize the wealth of marine natural for new sources of fresh water and energy. Therefore, the decision was taken to establish the Department of Marine Physics by the Supreme Council of the University on December 1978. The goals of the department have developed to achieve the development plans in Saudi Arabia. The Department of Marine Physics is the only of its kind in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
- Excellence in higher education program and training in science and maritime studies.
- Quality in scientific research to serve the interests of national and international.
- Methodology to explore the sources of marine wealth of the national economy
- Programs to protect the marine environment and the awarenedd of the community service.
Serve maritime interests according to the national and international standards through the following ways:
- Study of the marine environment and develop solutions to their problems.
- Conduct basic scientific research to explore the wealth of marine living and non-living.
- Offer programs to serve the community and to disseminate the culture of marine and environmental awareness and to provide specialized scientific advice to the relevant authorities.
Study the physical properties of seawater and ocean (temperature, salinity and density distribution).
Study of sea water circulation on large and small scale
Study of various physical phenomena in the seas and oceans, such as changes in sea level, waves and tides.
Introduce students to the fundamental role played by the various fields of marine physics and there applications on other marine science branches.
Collect basic information on the Red Sea and Arabian Gulf to study the regional environment.
Conducting research in the regional areas which serve the local community.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)