We train students to become international experts in Coastal and Water Management, with two Masters degrees, one from the University of Oldenburg and one from the University of Groningen. The Master of Science in Water and Coastal Management offers an innovative and versatile opportunity of advanced academic education, ready to be put into practice. Taught by outstanding experts, highly conversant with environmental, socio-economic, and spatial sciences, students will be trained to manage the water and coastal resources of future societies in a sustainable way.
We designed a unique Double-Degree-Program, merging the best of both universities to provide an inspiring atmosphere for the extraordinary development of an academic and professional career. The University of Oldenburg gives you the opportunity to learn about the marine environment and to study sustainable management; the University of Groningen offers its outstanding knowledge on spatial science, in particular water management and environmental and infrastructure planning. The ability to integrate both makes the successful student an expert in water and coastal management!
Experts with a wide variety of disciplinary backgrounds from the Universities of Groningen and Oldenburg have joined together to teach future executives, professionals, and specialists on water and coastal resources management. We designed a unique double degree programme, merging the best of both sites to provide an inspiring atmosphere for the extraordinary development of your academic and professional career. The double degree programme combines two disciplinary approaches: the predominantly sciences perspective of marine biology, chemistry, ecology and economics of the University of Oldenburg and the sociological, engineering perspective from the Faculty of Spatial Sciences of the University of Groningen. You have the unique opportunity to study abroad, in an international atmosphere and in familiar surroundings.
Study Design and Contents
The curriculum of MSc WCM is divided in four phases.
- Introduction/get together: In the introduction phase learners and teachers team up.
- Initial-phase scientific essentials: After the initial phase you will be able to: Emphasize the scientific background of environmental questions and handle methods to deal with them; understand the socio-economical background of sustainability and resource management and to deal with its techniques; work scientifically on a chosen topic.
- Specialisation deeper knowledge: After the specialisation you will have the skills to professionally manage ambitious planning projects, to perform motivated environmental and infrastructure planning and to develop your individual thesis-theme self-contained
- Master thesis the final frontier: After graduating with a double degree you have developed the skills to independently pursue a line of research and to assess and analyse new problems in a scientific way.
Proceso de aplicación
This is an open admissions degree course, and applications are accepted only for winter semesters.
The application deadline for the winter semester is 30 September.
Resultados del aprendizaje
Our Master of Science in Water and Coastal Management degree opens many doors. You will be able to work in public organisations that are directly or indirectly responsible for water management and/or the management of coastal resources, i.e. national, regional and local authorities. Furthermore, there are job opportunities with agencies that have special responsibilities for the coastal area and/or water management. In addition, consultancy firms with different specialisations and/or research institutes will be interested.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in a specialist or interdisciplinary, environmental science-oriented programme with units from Natural Sciences, Economics and/or geographical-spatial planning.
- English language proficiency at level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Proof of language proficiency through one of the following language certificates: TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Advanced Exam
Categorías CINE (ISCED)