The Bachelor programme Environmental Sciences provides students with a first profound insight into the fields environment, science and environmental planning. Students gain a broad knowledge on the basic mathematical and scientific principles of marine and terrestrial ecosystems. They can expand their knowledge either in the fields of environmental sciences, modelling, chemical analysis, landscape ecology, planning or microbiology.
The study course introduces up to date scholarly work and provides information on current environmental problems and possible solution strategies.
It is optional to focus this Bachelor on Marine Sciences.
The study programme is based on a thorough, comprehensive education in mathematics and natural sciences (1st year, 63 credit points). The following elective and accentuation modules (2nd and 3rd year, 57 credit points) can be selected from a wide range of specialist subjects. The individual study profile is complemented by general or subject-specific professionalization modules (30 credit points). Further components of the study are a contact internship and the bachelor thesis (15 credit points each).
This much sought after degree course is focused on environmental science and environmental planning, with a special focus on marine and terrestrial ecosystems. Studying Environmental science at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg offers an interesting variety of options to students at the beginning of their academic career. On the one hand, it offers options for entry into a variety of career fields after graduation, and other, it offers the opportunity to continue studying in a related master's programme. Environmental science combines up to date scholarly work in environmental research with urgent demands for solutions to environmental problems. The basic practical and theoretical approaches common to all fields in mathematics and the natural sciences are presented in this degree course in an interdisciplinary context. The focus is on terrestrial and marine ecosystems and their temporal and spatial development. The trans-disciplinary applications of this degree programme are developed with the analysis and development of planning options in solving concrete problems in conservation. This aspect especially requires a high degree of teamwork and well developed communication skills. These abilities form a wider goal of the programme. Students who wish to study environmental science should have a broad interest in mathematics and the natural sciences. Good English skills as well as an interest in computer applications are also expected. Students in the environmental science related degree courses at the University of Oldenburg distinguish themselves through their high degree of motivation, interest in understanding complex connections and difficult academic material, and a high degree of commitment to their academic area.
Proceso de aplicación
This course of studies accepts a limited number of applicants, and application is only possible in the winter semester.
Resultados del aprendizaje
- Aim of the study programme is the acquisition of specialized knowledge, methodical-practical skills and subject-related and social competences in the field of environmental sciences, which meet the requirements of scientific work and qualified professional activities. Students are empowered to critically evaluate scientific findings, to form substantiated opinions on topics relevant to environmental sciences and to derive problem-related, responsible actions.
- Graduates possess an individual qualification profile in interdisciplinary environmental sciences. They are able to perform occupations particularly in the areas of environmental research, planning and management. They are able to take consecutive and postgraduate courses which allow them to enter scientific careers or professional activities.
- The program supports a broad social commitment of the students through extensive possibilities to organize the courses and the professional diversity and interdisciplinary nature of the education.
Careers and Areas of Employment
This course of studies will open the door for graduates to enter challenging and successful careers. Some career fields are directly accessible, and others are dynamic in their development and characterised by more individual career paths. Possible career fields for graduates include environmental protection, environmental planning and environmental modelling
- Conservation and landscape planning as well as environmental disturbance evaluation,
- Ecosystem restoration and conservation area management
- Land and water conservation
- Monitoring programmes (for example EU Water Framework Directive)
- Environmental IT for environmental planning
The comparatively comprehensive transfer of the foundations and methods of analysis for environmental systems qualifies students for professional positions that are constantly being created in this dynamic career sector. The broad education provided by the bachelor's degree programme in Environmental Science offers good opportunities for niche career fields.
- Broad interest in all mathematical and scientific disciplines
- English language skills and computer skills
- High motivation
- Interest in understanding complex contexts and difficult course contents
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to work in a team
- High commitment also beyond the course’s scope
Categorías CINE (ISCED)