The Master in Renewable Energy in the Marine Environment (REM) is an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) offered by four universities:
- University of the Basque Country
- University of Strathclyde
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- École Centrale de Nantes
These partner universities jointly engage in the overall execution and development of the master. Each centre is responsible for the operation of the programme at its own institution.
The master is co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.
The Programme is a two years masters’ course consisting of 4 semesters of study (120 ECTS), in accordance with the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System).
Student mobility is compulsory so that each student must undertake the Programme by enrolling at three of the four partner universities (including for completion of a master thesis).
ECTS credits are assigned to Modules. Each student will be assigned to a Supervisor. An individual study plan must be then elaborated and mutually agreed between the student and his/her Supervisor.
Aims and Goals
The programme is aimed to respond to challenges of the recent European Marine Strategy Framework Directives. A pivotal goal of the Programme is to promote international and European cultural exchange and interactions among students.
For this purpose it was conducted a feasibility study regarding the convenience of the implementation of such a Master in the Basque Country context by an independent office EURO PRAXIS commissioned by UPV/EHU which has taken into account: a) analysis of demand: company needs, b) analysis of offer: identification of programmes and offshore energy agents, c) pre-proposal Master contents: analysis of contents, structures, typologies and contrast with companies and stakeholders. Six content priorities and three segment priorities were identified.
The content priorities are:
1. Resource and marine environment
2. Theoretical foundations: early marine energy conversion
3. Conversion technologies
4. Connection and integration into the electricity grid
5. Engineering, development and management of offshore parks
6. Environmental, economic and legal aspects of marine renewable energy
Whereas the segment priorities are:
1. Offshore wind
2. Wave power
3. Tidal power and sea currents
The analysis of offer helped to identify relevant core partners in order to complement skills and capacities for structuring a Master excellence programme. The Master degree submitted to co-design with partners has been carried out taking into account the needs and priorities mentioned by consulted companies.
Proceso de aplicación
Applicants are required to complete the online application procedure, providing documents and forms available through the REM website. The application procedure has the following steps:
- Students must complete the online application form.
- The following documents are required and must be attached to the application form:
- Proof of place of residence (accepted documents are indicated in the PRADO website)
- Copy of the ID/ passport (passport will be required for students outside Schengen)
- Certified copy of the transcript of records of all courses taken to achieve the BSc degree (in English)
- Certified copy of the highest degree obtained, stating credits, average grade and workload (in English)
- Copy of Language Certificates
- Full curriculum vitae in Europass format (template downloadable HERE)
- Letter of motivation to participate in the REM Programme
- Recommendation letters from academic staff members
- Special needs evidence
- Any supplementary information/work that may be consider relevant by the Applicant
The deadline for returning the application form and the required documentation will be announced on the REM website but will normally be before 15th of March every academic year. In the cases of late registration, applications will only be accepted in the event of evidenced technical failure of the online registration platform.
An advanced preliminary pre-registration deadline at the beginning of April may be offered to 3rd country students and European candidates to Erasmus Mundus funding in order to provide them with a conditional pre-acceptance letter that might help them in obtaining visas and grants to be enrolled in the Programme. A firm offer will only be made on completion of the general application procedure.
Registration after the deadlines may be possible but may lead to a delay in processing of the application. Late registration may be accepted under the exceptional circumstances of evidenced technical failure of the online registration platform.
Applications for the programme submited prior to the designated deadline automatically include the request for the scholarship. Normally there´s an additional deadline for self-funded candidates not recquiring an scholarship.
Oportunidades de financiamiento/becas
ERASMUS MUNDUS scholarships are open to higher education Third Country and European students and academics from all over the world. Programmes include obligatory study and research periods, in at least two universities, and award recognised double, multiple or joint degrees.
Erasmus Mundus scholarship covers tuition fees, participation costs (including insurance coverage), travel cost contribution, installation cost contribution, and monthly allowance.
Erasmus Mundus scholarships are intended for full-time studies only.
Students can apply for an EM scholarship even if they have not yet completed the studies required by the REM consortium for the joint programme. They must however have completed the relevant degree before the enrolment deadline in the joint REM programme.
Programme country students are from the 28 EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein Macedonia, Norway or Turkey. Partner country students are from any other country, provided they are not currently residents of these eligible countries (above), nor have carried out their main activity (studies, work, etc.) for more than a total of 12 months over the last five years in one of these countries. More details about participating countries in ERASMUS + web page.
Student s/scholars benefitting from an EM scholarship can benefit from other non-EU funded support while performing his/her EM joint programme activities (e.g. student jobs or placement/internship allowances) if the national legislation of the host country permits it. The basic and only rule in this case is that a Community funding beneficiary can never benefit from other Community financial support for the same activities for which he/she has already received funding.
Resultados del aprendizaje
Students taking part in the master will acquire the following skills:
- Students are able to acquire and properly link together the knowledge needed to address and assimilate the study of theoretical concepts and practical application on the fields of Renewable Offshore Energy.
- Students are able to analyze and to solve problems in new environments, not proposed during the training period, and requiring coordination with other disciplines needed to optimize the implementation and operation of offshore renewable facilities.
- Students can integrate all the knowledge acquired in order to be able to develop, coordinate and control technical activities related to offshore renewable energies and their integration into the electrical power system.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of fluid mechanics and its application to solve engineering problems.
- Students acquire the ability to apply their expertise taking into account technological issues as well as regulatory issues derived from the legal framework in which they develop and the consequences of social and environmental impacts involving activities in the area to which they relate.
- Students are able to transmit their knowledge as well as the scientific and technological basis, in a clear and easily understandable way; adapting the technical level of their exposition depending on the audience, specialist or non-specialist in the field of offshore renewable energy.
- Students are able to independently perform the necessary steps to update their knowledge, deepen and broaden the knowledge acquired and successfully deal with research activities, all within the field of offshore renewable energy.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)