Are you looking for a career in hydrographic surveying and marine exploration industries? On this course you’ll explore offshore and environmental surveying, marine remote sensing, oceanography, underwater acoustics, digital mapping and geographical information systems. A focus on the practical application of survey technology to the marine environment gives you highly sought after skills in hydrographic surveying, mapping, measurement and visualisation of the seafloor and underlying geology.
You will develop your range of practical skills with our own fully-equipped fleet of boats. You’ll experience an overseas field course that is aimed at integrating your surveying and mapping knowledge and understanding across the different sub-disciplines to address real-world issues. You will have the option to take the industry-recognised professional diving qualification (HSE Professional SCUBA) alongside your degree.
- In the 2019 National Student Survey, 100 per cent expressed overall satisfaction with the course; 100 per cent of students felt staff on this course were good at explaining things; 100 per cent felt that the staff made the subject interesting and 100 per cent found the course intellectually stimulating.*
- Experience extensive vocational elements with an emphasis on hands-on experience using current hydrographic and surveying methods and state-of-the-art technology as used by the survey industry.
- Benefit from strong industry links and excellent home and overseas employment prospects.
- Develop your range of practical skills with our own fully-equipped fleet of boats, a new £4.65 million Marine Station used as a base for fieldwork afloat, industry standard oceanographic and surveying equipment, and a type-approved ship simulator.
- Option to take the industry-recognised professional diving qualification (HSE Professional SCUBA) alongside your degree and an optional dedicated scientific diving module to provide training and qualification for diving-based research projects and employment (limited places and additional costs apply).
- Experience an overseas field course that is aimed at integrating your surveying and mapping knowledge and understanding across the different sub-disciplines to address real-world issues.
All applications for undergraduate courses are made through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
UCAS will ask for the information contained in the box at the top of this course page including the UCAS course code and the institution code.
To apply for this course and for more information about submitting an application including application deadline dates, please visit the UCAS website.
Undergraduate scholarships for international students
To reward outstanding achievement the University of Plymouth offers scholarship schemes to help towards funding your studies.
A level: 112 -128 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, including Grade C in at least one relevant science subject: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics. Computer Science, Design and Technology, Electronics, Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Marine Science, Psychology, Sociology, Statistics. Excluding General Studies.
BTEC National Diploma/QCF Extended Diploma: DMM - DDM in a relevant science subject.
BTEC National Diploma modules: If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the full list of modules within your qualification at the time of application.
Pass Access (Science), (including GCSE English and mathematics grade C or above or equivalent) with at least 33 credits at merit and/or distinction in science. If not science related Access please contact the admissions team at email@example.com.
International Baccalaureate: 26 - 28 points overall to include at least one relevant science subject.
We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.